1959 was a good year and bad year. During the first year of married life we moved five times.  First, we lived on the second floor of the Red Fork Cove Apartments three doors down from Porky Pansy.

Porky and I worked for a prefab building company on the north side of Tulsa. Looking back, Porky and I were a bad influence on each other. But how can a young person know such things?

We had been working there for about 2 weeks when the foreman came by and looked up to where we were working on top of a structure.  He began by criticizing our work.  We looked at each other and started climbing down. Without saying a word and while the boss was still talking we walked off the job.

I guess that didn’t make much sense but we were young and a little bit reckless. Phyllis took a more mature attitude toward my actions.  She pointed out that we had bills to pay and I needed that job because jobs in Tulsa were hard to come by in the late 1950’s. She was right.

But we did have time to go fishing and sleep on the river bank.  Predictably, I was not able to find a job and a few weeks later Phyllis and I decided that we had no other choice but to move in with my folks who invited us to do so.

I began working more diligently trying to find a job.  Moving in with family may be a good idea sometimes but most of the time independent people need their space.  On one occasion Mom and Dad added a little levity to our situation.They made a game of kibitzing each other the first morning we were there.

Dad got up first and and was sitting at the kitchen bar when he said this to Mom, “Old Lady don’t you think it’s time to get up and fix breakfast so I can go out and make us a living”.

Dad knew that addressing her by that title would cause a fuss.  It did.  She responded, “ I wish you would sell this place and give me half and I will pack my bag and leave”.

Dad responded, “then pack mine too”.  Her retort was classic.  “Oh shoot, I might as well stay here.”  That ended the spat, Mom fixed breakfast and Dad went out to make a living.

It was natural that Phyllis and I were anxious to get our own place.  Fortunately, I got a call from Gaso Pump and Burner where I had left an application a few weeks earlier.

Gaso was a good company to work for but I wanted to do more than sweep floors. I liked the congenial working environment and the wage of $1.65 an hour.

But I wanted a better job.  Although I had a nominal background for office work, I inquired for a job in administration. The interview was disappointing.

Gaso was unwilling to hire me for such an important position unless I had my military obligation behind me.  The Military Draft was a real possibility given the world situation in 1959.

I told Phyllis what I was thinking and asked her what she thought. Her response was the same whenever I asked the same question over the next many years. “Whatever you decide, I’ll follow you anywhere”.

Even after 61 years of marriage she has the same attitude.  I enlisted in the U. S. Army in January, 1960, and departed for basic training at Ft Riley Kansas.  My education in adulthood was about to begin.