You may leave a comment by pressing the “comment” option under the title of this lesson
A. This series of lessons will complete the course entitled “Crossing the Finish Line”. We started the course in January, but due to the Coronavirus crisis, we were unable to meet together for a while. In the meantime, we will continue our study online.
We will start where we left off, by studying Scripture about the person and work of the Holy Spirit. Jesus promised He would send the Holy Spirit. He then Ascended into Heaven where He now sits at the right hand of God.
You will remember when we started, we studied scripture about the Rapture, and the Judgment Seat of Christ. Next we read Scripture about the last hours that Jesus was on earth, which included: The Last Supper, Garden of Gethsemane, His betrayal by Judas, the six trials, walking to Golgotha, Soldiers nailing Jesus to the cross, six statements made by Jesus, His death, His burial, and His resurrection 3 days later. Then He appeared to many people in His resurrected body. Jesus instructed his followers “to make disciples of and baptize all nations in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit”. Lastly, Jesus promised to send the Holy Spirit who would empower and assist Believers to carry out the Great Commision.
B. Now, to our online lessons. Four major topics will be covered: Getting to know the Holy Spirit, Anticipating the Rapture, Seeing Christ at the Judgment Seat, and last getting ready to stand before Christ, the Judge.
II. So that we can know more about the Holy Spirit, we will start with an examination of five important ministries.
III. According to the Bible the ministry of the Holy Spirit is a five-fold work for the repenting sinner:
A. The. Holy Spirit regenerates the repenting sinner:
B. The Holy Spirit Baptizes the repenting sinner:
C. The Holy Spirit indwells the repenting sinner:
D. The Holy Spirit seals the repenting sinner:
F. The Holy Spirit fills the repenting sinner.
1. All five of these happen instantaneously to the believer at the moment of salvation.
2. These all occur by faith and are not the result of any effort by the believer.
3. The first four cannot be lost.
4. The Last one can be lost and should be asked for as many times as needed.
IV. The Holy Spirit regenerates the repenting sinner: Note that the word generation appears only 2 times in the New Testament.
A. In your own words define Regeneration.
1. Read these verses and describe the who and what of Regeneration: , Titus 3:4-8, Matt 19:28, Rom8:23, John 3:5, Ezekiel 36:25-27. Compare the last 2 verses: water and spirit and washing of regeneration and renewal in the Holy Spirit.
2. Read John 3:3 James 1:18,21, describe the who and what of these verses.
B. In your own words describe the Baptism by the Holy Spirit.
1. Read 1 Cor 12:13-14 and describe the what and who of these verses.
2. Read Rom 6:3-4 and describe the meaning.
3. Read Eph 5:18, Rom 6:3 and describe the difference between Baptism by the Holy Spirit and the Filling of the Holy Spirit.
C. What is the indwelling ministry of the Holy Spirit.
1. Read Rom 8:1. What is the meaning of this verse.
2. Read Jn 14:17 and describe the who and what in this verse.
3. Read 1 Cor 3:16. What is its meaning?
4. Read 1 Cor 6:19-20 and describe the who and what of these verses.
5. Read Rom 8:11. What does the Holy Spirit do?
D. Answer the following questions concerning the Holy Spirit sealing the believer.
1. Read Eph 4:30 and 1:13. What is promised?
2. Read John 6:27 and comment on the main idea.
3. Read 2 Cor 1:22, Identify and list 4 points in this verse.
3. The Holy Spirit fills the repenting sinner:
E. What does it mean to be “filled with the Holy Spirit”.
1. Read Eph 5:18. What does this verse mean?
2. Read Acts 4:31. What does this verse mean?
3. Read Acts 4:8 What does this verse mean?
A. Read 1 Corinthians 2:10-13; 12:8. What personal quality(s) are described or implied in these verses.
B. Read Romans 15:30, Grief Eph 4:30, What personal quality(s) are described or implied in these verses.
C. Read I Corinthians 12:11, What personal quality(s) are described or implied in this verses.
D. Summarize the personal qualities of the Holy Spirit?
V. The Holy Spirit is a divine person who performs supernatural acts.
A. Read Heb 9:13-15, and list the divine attributes/works ascribed to the Holy Spirit..
B. Read John 14:26; I Corinthians 2:10-12, and list the Divine attributes/works ascribed to the Holy Spirit.
C. Read Luke 1:35, and list the Divine attributes/works ascribed to the Holy Spirit.
D. Read Psalm 139:7-10. and list the Divine attributes/works ascribed to the Holy Spirit.
V. Read the following verses and list the personal acts performed by the Holy Spirit:
A. 1 Corinthians 2:10.
B. Acts 13:2; 21:11; Revelation 2:7, 11, 17, 29.
C. Romans 8:26.
D. John 15:26.
E. John 14:26.
F. Acts 16:6.
G. Acts 13:2, 4; 20:28.
H. 2 Corinthians 13:14
I. Acts 8:39; 10:38.
VI. Answer the following questions about the important doctrine of the Bible.
A. Define Revelation, read and comment on the following verses, Matt 11:25-27, 2 Peter 1:20.
B. Define Inspiration, read and comment on the following verses, 2 Tim 3:16, 2 Pet 1:20-21
C. Define Illumination, read and comment on the following verses, 1 Cor 12:7, 1 Cor 1:5